Sunday, October 23, 2011

Mad dogs and Denver-ites (South Platte Trail-C-470- Trail-Clear Creek loop)

I was heading to the San Luis Valley fairly frequently there for a bit, and I'd always see that endless concrete sidewalk. Have to ride it - it's right there. But it's always too hot, too cold, too windy, too much work, e.

So today I rode it. It was the second road ride of the summer for me - the first was the Triple Bypass. I've come to terms with cycling - I'm not very good at it, it takes a long time, and often I find it boring. But it's still fun to get out here and there.

The ride was fine - an endless (relatively) smooth concrete sidewalk. I've ridden the Clear Creek path quite a bit, in particular when Will-J was hooked on the Golden Rec Center baby pool. I'd tow him out there in the bike trailer, we'd get coffee, he'd splash his heart out, and then he'd sleep most of the whole way home. Yes, Will-J, I'm still sorry that one time I thought it would be a good idea to ride all the way out to Commerce City and the confluence of Clear Creek and the South Plate - it's yucky and hot and too long, but you did get some ice cream out of the deal.

The route is surprisingly difficult to follow given that it is indeed an endless smooth concrete sidewalk. It's easy to get off onto the Bear Creek path, miss the turn onto the C-470 trail, miss the way through the Solterra development, etc. And due to FasTracks, there's a lot of this:



Oh, and I rode through "TAMARISK."



What's better than naming a high-end subdivision after a rapidly-spreading invasive plant that chokes out both native vegetation and all river access? No idea.

Yes that's my finger in the photo. More importantly, why are the photos insistently upside-down no matter how many times I re-save them? Also no idea. I'm apparently the only person in the world who doesn't find the i-phone intuitive.

But oh, the weather. We're right in the middle of the endless warm fall we get every year in Denver, but always surprises. Sunny and in the 70's, leaves falling, gentle breeze, etc. - and of course there were precious few folks riding the endless concrete sidewalk of fun. I've seen these same paths packed with riders on 90+ degree days. This may fit in with our general theory that Denver-ites see the outside as "closed" after Labor Day. Or maybe it has to do with the epic Tebow comeback this afternoon. Or maybe everyone's hunting. In any case, it certainly was a fine day make the loop.

No comments: