Saturday, April 28, 2012

The (trash) Watchmen

I’m going through a spring cleaning phase – cleaning out the house and organizing.  America is famous for its landfills/inefficiency, but don’t tell that to the Denver trash night rangers.

Example:
 
I finally sold my old 1996 Jeep, which had a tape deck.  And thus, I could no longer justify keeping that massive box of tapes around.  Yes, I’m really attached to all those old albums, including the emotional baggage of actual tape mixtapes.  But I’m getting older (if not more mature), and it’s time to let some things go.  I put them out on top of the dumpster yesterday after work.
 
Later, I put out two old bike wheels, a junk mandoline, a cracked vase, and a few other things.  The last time I went out was at about 11 p.m. – someone had knocked the tapes into the dumpster and they had gotten covered with a load of grass clippings.  

This morning at 7 a.m., everything was gone.  Wheels gone.  Vase gone.  Mandoline gone.  Etc.  And the grass clippings had been pushed aside to get the box of tapes.  Vanished into the night, I assume for resale somewhere.  I appreciate this - thanks, Denver trash night rangers, for not coming into my yard and ripping me off, but for giving this stuff a new home.  

No comments: