Saturday, September 28, 2013

HHPF! #11 - PCT 1999 (and 1998)

(HHPF intro here).

I found some old scans from my snowy 1999 PCT hike.  These are all from Kennedy Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows, where I intended to return and keep hiking north after a few weeks.  Of course, life happened instead, and I didn't make it back until 2010.  At the end of the post, I throw in a few photos of my 1998 PCT hike.

The first photo is of my bag at Kennedy Meadows - I hiked the Muir Trail plus the rest of the trail to Tuolumne straight through, and being young and stupid, set out with about an 80-pound bag (note camp chair, natch).  It was early season, and incredibly snowy - postholing up to Forester Pass was one of the most difficult experiences of my life.  I didn't see a person on the trail the entire way except on Mount Whitney.  Even that turned out to be epic, however - it was a snow wallow, and a lightning storm on the way down sent sparks out the tips of my wool gloves.  I learned my lesson(s), and soon moved to the Owens Valley to hike and climb the Sierras properly (see next post).













1998 photos:







No comments: